Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

PVR Anxiety

I revealed on Sunday that I have some severe anxiety surrounding our PVR.  For those of you who may not have this beautiful invention, it is a digital recorder for all your TV shows.

Our PVR!

I love watching TV - It is a relaxing time that I truly enjoy.  I would rather watch TV and catch up on shows, then go out on a Friday night.  Consider me a loser if you will, but I like to do what makes me happy, and a good episode of House (it ended last night! Seriously upset btw) or Ellen Degeneres usually does the trick.  Leading the busy life that hubby and I lead, we would never get to watch any of our favourite shows if it wasn't for our trusty PVR.

There are times when I will be so busy I will not get to watch TV for a week.  So when the time comes to finally relax and watch some TV, hubby and I take our respective couches, he turns on the TV, and once he goes to our recordings, my eyes instantly shoot to the % full line.

If it is above 85%, my heart starts racing & as he scrolls through, I try to convince him to delete any of the shows that don't need to be there.  Unlucky for me, he has zero care in the world about the level of fullness.  He has the last 3 seasons of Family Guy taking up valuable space, half the episodes he never watches, but can we delete them...of course not.  Unless it is at like 98% or above, there is zero urgency for deleting any recordings.

I don't know what the fear is, I guess that a show I actually care about will not tape, which frankly is not the end of the world, but it doesn't make the anxiety any less.

If I know that the % full is over 85%, I can't focus on anything else.  All I can think about is getting a hold of the remote and getting that number to below 70%.  The entire time we are watching a recording, all I want is to take 3 minutes to go through the list and purge. 70% my safe haven number since I know the likelihood of it reaching 100% before I get to purge again is unlikely, so I feel comfortable at 70%.

Sometimes I get to catch up on a lot of shows, or just come to terms with not having time to catch up on a series, and I delete a whole bunch of shows, and get the % into the 50's and it seriously feels like I won the lottery.  I have to rejoice to hubby "Woot!  Got the PVR to 58%!". 

It's amazing that the tittle things make me so happy, and the littler things give me anxiety.

PS.  Is littler a word?

2 comments:

  1. FI gets annoyed that I delete things all of the time. I freak out when it says over 35%. 35%!! I'm so ridiculous. I totally thought I was the only one!

    - MissPumpkinPie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot even imagine having it 35%. I bet hubby has 35% alone in family guy.
    You are definitely NOT alone

    ReplyDelete