Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Hair Types

Now that I am tracking, it is clear to you people that I pull/break a lot of hairs in one day.  One of the interesting things about my disease is everyday my hair takes on a different feel or texture.  This is obviously mental, as my hair does not change from day-to-day, but I think it also effects the amount of pulling and breaking I do.

Some days my hair breaks really easy, it feels brittle and weak and the amount of breaks just keep on coming.  Other days my hair feels strong, and thick, then the next day it will be rough and textured.  Most people would never think this about their hair, but since I touch mine so much I am very in tune with my hair. 

I started using a product called "Redken Intraforce" about a year ago.  It is a line they have designed for people with thinning hair.  I plan on writing a much more detailed post on this line, but for now, it is just general background.  Since using that product, my hair has really taken on a new form and I find hairs that never were in my hair mix-up before.  I now have 3 hair types, versus my usual 2. 

Below is an image illustrating the 3 hair types.  On the left you will find my thin hairs.  These hairs are light in colour, and literally are so thin and weak they snap with no effort.  The middle hair is what I like to consider my typical hair.  It is a brown shade, it requires some effort to break and I think the thickness is normal of someone with regular hair.  Then there is the best hairs in the world on the right.  These hairs literally excite the sh*t out of me.  You can likely see the significant difference between the left and middle hair versus the one on the right, but all these hairs came from the same head. 



The hairs on the right should not normally be found in my head.  A dark, rich shade of brown that are so thick and strong, sometimes I can hardly break them.  They give such an amazing feeling of hope as I run them through my fingers, that this could one day be the hair type that is supposed to make up my entire head.  The irony of the whole thing is, since I can usually tell when I have found one with my fingers, I need to immediately see how thick it is, so I pull it out, thus reducing the amount of thick pieces in my hair.  ugh!

My mom has hair very similar to the hairs on the right - and yes I know this because I have had her pull out a hair so I can play with it and see the texture/thickness. 

My Mom's Full, Thick Head of Hair

Maybe these new hairs on the right are signs of good things to come & I can one day have hair as thick as my moms.


No comments:

Post a Comment