Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Brain Lock by Jeffery M. Schwartz

Yesterday during my visit with Barb the therapist she mentioned a book called "Brain Lock: Free yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behaviour" (I realize it is spelt "behavior" on the cover of the book, but being Canadian, I can't spell it that way)

Brain Lock - Jeffery M. Schwartz

She has another client who told her about it, and after getting about half way through, felt I could benefit from reading this.  So since my mind was told I should read this book, I obviously had to stop on my way home & pick up a copy - waiting to get home to download it to my iPad would have been too long.

I am still on the introduction but there was one paragraph that really struck home. 


"Washing, checking & other OCD rituals consume hours of time each day & make the lives of people with OCD miserable.  People with OCD may even fear they are going crazy - they know that their behaviour is not normal.  Indeed, the behaviour is apt to be foreign to their personalities or self-image. . . they are unable to stop themselves from responding to the brain's false alarms" 
-Jeffery M. Schwartz, Brain Lock



The main part of this that struck home for me was the bolded section.  OCD does not define a person.  We all have unique personalities and what our mind is doing to us, does not reflect who we actually are.

No comments:

Post a Comment