Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Last Bite

Strategic eating.  It sounds silly when I write it that way but it is something I definitely do, and all the time.  After yesterdays post, you hopefully got an idea how much I love food so you won't be surprised at my obsession with the last bite.

Since I love food so much, it is always important for me to finish a meal with the taste and sensation of the best part of that meal. 

The reason I included the McChicken in my reveal post because it is the best example I can give people of a perfect last bite and the reasoning behind it.  When I eat a McChicken there is a very strategic process.  I begin to eat the sandwich like any regular sandwich, but around the half way mark it starts to get strategic for me.  As I get to the middle, I begin working my bites around the edge of the McChicken.  Once I have all the outer crust hangovers eaten, there is about 2-3 bites left, this is when I assess the remaining sandwich for lettuce & McChicken sauce distribution.  The last thing I would ever want is to finish a McChicken on the edge.   A McChicken must be finished on a bite that has equal distribution of the ingredients.  This guarantees that my last bite is going to be the most satisfying bite, with the taste and experience of the McChicken lingering in my mouth even after the sandwich is done.

I could give examples all day of different last bites, like how my last bite of a frosted mini wheats has to be 2 overly frosted bites, that I have put aside and avoided the entire bowl..they must also be upside down on the spoon.   Or how my last bite of a pizza slice has to be a bite that includes crust, sauce & cheese so I get all parts of the pizza in one final bite.  Or my favourite meal of Parmesan Chicken Bowties at Jack Astors....strategically finding a good size piece of chicken, 2 noodles with a bunch of sauce on it & stacking perfectly on my fork for one last hurrah in my mouth!

Jack Astor's Parmesan Chicken Bowties.  My favourite meal ever. 
When I am half-way through my meal, that is when I make the determination what part of the meal is satisfying me the most, which flavours I am enjoying the most, and I ensure that will be my last bite.  Below is a good picture to show what my plate may look like before my last bite.  If I was having a meal and the meat, and potatoes and veggies were all working equally for me, i'd put equal parts to the side & ensure on one final fork bit (...no I would not have an ENTIRE potato like below), I would have my last bite.
Last Bite Contender
Hubby is now able to spot my last bite & will sometimes steal my last bite and literally RUIN my meal.  Even when he fakes taking it when he sees it put to the side, he still raises my anxiety levels.  I love food so when I am eating I mean business, it is not something I do because you need to eat to survive, it is an activity I thoroughly enjoy.  The different textures, the different flavours, the whole experience is really one that brings me happiness.

Even though I know this is a little obsessive, it is truly important to me to walk away from every meal feeling satisfied.  The only way to ensure that is by strategically choosing my last bite & ensuring when I walk away from that meal, the last bite I took was the best bite.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog and I, too, suffer with trich. Funny, my plate looks like yours does and I savor my last bite with the "best" of my meal. I thought I was the only one. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete